Monday, August 2

It's been too long...

since I've last blogged. Too much has been happening.

I have a lot of free time now, I guess I should do it more often. I need to be writing more often anyway.

As for my writing career, I have progressed a bit.

I live in Columbus, Mississippi now. I got 5 grand in scholarships to the school here, which is awesome. 4 grand of it is for my writing. Not bad at all.

My short story Hot Thibodaux has gotten pretty rave reviews from a lot of ... English teachers.

I won an award for it from the community college I went to last semester.

I was published in said community college annual literary journal. I think that's me doing pretty well for myself, right? Publication and scholarships. I'm on my way to the big top. Ca-ching.

However, life in Columbus is pretty lonely. I don't have a roommate. It's just me and Buster.

I have a few friends, but they live in the next town over. Also, I have my co-workers, but they're co-workers.

I really love the house I'm living in though. There's a ghost cat, and it has made its presence known. I have witnesses, Lindsey and Lexi have both seen it in action.

At the moment, I work a lot and don't do any house work. I've done a little writing, but I need to do more. I do a lot of reading though, and that should count. I'm at least broadening my horizons.

As for the Fall semester here at the W, my classes should help me flourish:
  • Poetry Writing Workshop (I'm not very good at poetry, hopefully this will help)
  • Shakespeare (early works I think)
  • College Algebra (I'm not too excited about this one)
  • Yoga (I am excited about this one)
  • American Lit 1 (Even though I took World Lit 1 and 2, I have to take another survey course)
My future is bright, my tail is bushy. I need to start submitting Hot Thibodaux to more literary journals other than the one it was published in, which doesn't count, because it doesn't have a circulation over 100, I'm sure.

Tomorrow is my first day off in seven days. I have to pay my first electric and water bill. Being an adult is not all it's cracked up to be....

HOWEVER, what I really should be talking about is the ending of LOST. But I really can't until I see the whole last season again. I need to be well educated in it's brilliance before I can make any accusations of any sort.

The box set will be coming out this month. 150 on pre-order on amazon.com. I really need to buy it once I get my tuition refund money if that ever happens.

I am now the proud owner of all three season of Veronica Mars. I don't have to rent it from the library anymore. Even though the Columbus library doesn't have a great selection of DVDs to choose from.

I'm still working at Waffle House. It's nothing special. And it's pretty much the same where ever you go. A WaHo is the same in every city, every state. The people have the same problems, the same complaints. The same whatever.

I really need to just write a sitcom. Or a Grey's Anatomy type show about a Waffle House-esque diner. I just need to come up with loveable characters. That's the problem..... to stereotype or not to stereotype. Cliche or not to cliche? That is the question.

p&l
rachel

2 comments:

Lindsey A. said...

Yay! I'm glad you're blogging again and that the Babeluh (sp?) grants magical wishes. I keep thinking about the sushi you texted a pic of today. I want some really badly. You need to come to Oxford again soon (well, you are, but for non-wedding stuff later). Then we can go to half-price sushi and lounge poolside. We got a new comforter for downstairs so it will be luxurious.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel this is your cousin Jessica in LA. I've been reading your blog and I'm so impressed with your talent. I'm also so proud of your scholarships and being published- both of those are major achievements no matter what the arena, school, publication act.

How can I get in touch with you? I would love to catch up. I'm afraid to put my email or phone # on the internet because I hate spam.

I called your Mom the other day- if you talk to her please get my # and text me yours.

In the mean time I will try to get in touch with her to get yours.

Love you. Big Hug
Jess