Thursday, December 18

i wanna be your bootlegger, i wanna mix you up somethin' strange

I've fallen in love all over again with ... well, technically True Blood, but I've been reading the books the series is based on, and it's just magnificent to another degree now.

Dead Until Dark, the first novel, is absolutely intriguing. Bill Compton is not only less human, but a more sexual character. Sookie and Bill have sex in almost every chapter, since the first time they made love after Sookie's grandmother was killed. The intimate scenes are very powerful, in dialogue and in detail.

Eric, the sheriff of "area 5" is more kind to Sookie than he is in the series. That is more comforting than every vampire except Bill being courteous to Sookie.


Another thing about the book is that half the series has already happened in the first novel. It's amazing, realizing that I'm going to get to experience more than just what I saw on HBO. I wonder how true to the books the HBO series is... it's been pretty identical thus far in my reading. It has sparked a new interest in wanting to watch the series again.

Although the books are rather ... trashy in the sexual department... the book is written in a way that it's very easy to read. It's a wonderful read, though, don't think that since it's easy to read that it's lacking depth... quite the contrary... Sookie is much deeper in the book than she is in the series. The characters, both in the book and the series, are similar. Strong willed, modest (but not with Bill, sometimes), and vocal on her opinions.

I'm almost done with the first book, and I'm third in line to get the second one, Living Dead in Dallas. Something else I question is when Tara is going to make her appearance. Lafayette Reynold has already been in quite a few scenes, and is as flamboyant as he is in the series.

I'm actually quite surprised at how much of the series is in the first novelization. It makes me anxious to read the rest of the series, hoping to find out spoilers for next season's excitement...

But.. enough about Sookie Stackhouse. Let's talk about my Woodwose's.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about it. I've decided that they grew up as slightly "feral children" in the wilderness of the Olympic National Park (which is beautiful, btw, I looked at pictures on Google). Perhaps either they all get anxious about the impending evil coming to destroy Earth and finally integrate themselves into human society (in Seattle), or only one of them gets bored and intolerable of the others and runs off to find something more exciting. I can't decide.

I also can't decide how to actually start it. I mean, the prologue is a prologue. It doesn't actually tie in to the story, it's just like a "Starter Guide" on how the Woodwose's actually work. In the story, however, there will be more information on how they were actually created and what purpose they serve for Earth. They're kind of like aliens, but were born/spawned/created on the planet Earth. I think that once they do integrate themselves in with humans, they will do something environmental like start some volunteer program, or join one, so that there is human contact, also since they don't have social security numbers, last names, or real birthdays, parents, etc.

Something I was thinking about earlier... how I said that wizards were popular first, before vampires... well, Robert Pattinson (Edward in the film version of Twilight), was Cedric Diggory in the film version of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (which I have put on hold at the library, just so I can watch him and pay attention to him this time).

Anyways... I'm completely done with school for the Fall semester 2008. No more class until January 7th. My online classes don't start until Jan. 19th, which is a plus; it's also the week that Lost returns. Whoopee!

Another Whoopee: I read that Desperate Housewives has been extended through season NINE. That is quite exciting, do you not agree?

I hope to get my final grades soon. I was exempt from my World Civ 2 final, with a final average of 90 (an A), which was amazing. Today, I took my last two finals: Biology and World Civ 1. I made a 88 on my Bio lab final, which makes me very happy. I'm positive I made an A in my World Lit 2 class, since I made a 100+ on every test we did in class, and a 99 on the research paper I did on "Religious Undertones in the Short Fiction of Flannery O'Connor." I'm quite the genius, if you didn't know already.

p&l
rachel

No comments: